Donald Trump has been repeatedly called a narcissist. Is he? You decide.
A previous director of the Harvard Psychological Clinic found that this personality type is stimulated by real or imagined insult or injury and is characterized by holding grudges, low tolerance for criticism, excessive demands for attention, inability to express gratitude, a tendency to belittle, bully, and blame others, desire for revenge, persistence in the face of defeat, extreme self-will, self-trust, inability to take a joke, and compulsive criminality. More specifically, this personality type:
– has never shown any capacity to perceive or admit his errors and defects; has a policy of denying them, this being considered by him to be politically expedient.
– has very little respect for the female sex; believes every woman could be had.
– has an inability to resolve conflicts and to control emotion.
– has a tendency to admire and then to acquire the technique of a powerful opponent.
– has an inability to keep his word and fulfill obligations.
– has a love of power-sees himself as the country’s greatest strategist, war lord, savior of the people and as the mouthpiece of the whole people.
– has a low tolerance of belittlement, criticism, contradiction, mockery, failure; inability to take a joke; tendency to harbor grudges, not forgetting and forgiving.
– is prone to self-display and extravagant demands for attention and applause.
– plans and make decisions without consulting others; resents disagreements and interference; is annoyed by opposition.
– insists on being sole ruler of one’s home, business, political party, nation.
– is disinclined to express gratitude or acknowledge help received.
– denies or minimizes the contribution of others, belittles the worth of others especially if they are superiors, rivals, and potential critics.
– repays an insult in double measure.
– accuses, condemns, curses, or mocks an enemy to his face, or behind his back by criticism, slander, subtle undermining of prestige, smear campaigns, etc.
(Summary of a report by Dr. Henry A. Murray, pre-war Director of the Harvard Psychological Clinic, who was asked to prepare a psychological report of Adolf Hitler. Personality type – counteractive narcissist)
“But even if we could not conquer them, we should drag half the world into
destruction with us, and leave no one to triumph ….We shall not surrender.”
– Adolf Hitler